PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Jesse F. Niven Center

During 1958, this armory was built in East Albemarle for the United States Army Reserve. It was dedicated in memory of Capt. Jesse F. Niven Jr. on May 16, 1959.

Niven had been very popular as a young man in Albemarle. He was highly decorated during World War II and was killed while fighting in Europe.

This new armory served as the home of the 227th Transportation Company for the United States Army Reserve until it was deactivated in 2006.

The building was later converted into a community center through a federal program of the Department of the Interior and National Parks Service. On Sept. 17, 2013, a dedication ceremony was held at the building.

The Niven Center now houses the Albemarle Parks and Recreation Department administrative and maintenance centers, Homes of Hope and the Stanly County Senior Services Meal Program.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}