PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Ella B. Cox

Ella B. Cox was born in 1893 to Dr. B.F. and Mary Eddie (Kirk) Cox. They lived in the Palmerville area and Ella went to school at the Yadkin Mineral Springs Academy which was managed by Professor Eddins.

Ella Cox had a dental practice in Badin in the late 1910s.

In January 1915, Ella moved to High Point to work at the dentist’s office of Dr. J.J. Hamlin, who was a distant relative. In October she left for Baltimore to attend the University of Maryland Dental School. Cox received her degree, Doctor of Dental Surgery, in early 1918 and became licensed to practice in North Carolina in June of that year. She first began practicing dentistry in the Bank of Commerce Building in High Point.

By 1919, Dr. Cox had moved to Badin and opened her own practice in the Bank of Badin building.

On Feb. 16, 1922, Dr. Cox married one of her college classmates, Dr. George K. Brazill. They moved to New York, where they practiced together for a number of years.

She passed away June 21, 1957, and is buried at Beechwoods Cemetery in New Rochelle, New York.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}