West Stanly women’s tennis continues strong start with wins
The West Stanly women’s tennis team improved to 4-0 last week with non-conference home wins over Central Cabarrus and Jay M. Robinson.
West opens Rocky River Conference play Tuesday at home against Forest Hills.
West Stanly 6, Central Cabarrus 3
The Colts and Vikings tied after singles play and needed to determine the overall match winner in doubles play. West Stanly swept the doubles to keep the team’s win streak alive.
- Lindsey Phillis (WS) d. Ashlyn Launsby 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (7-4)
- Easton Park (CC) d. Cortney Queen 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7-4)
- Piper Borras (CC) d. Morgan Edwards 6-2, 5-3
- Neha Patel (CC) d. Riley Smith 6-0, 6-1
- Meredith Harwood (WS) d. Reagan Allen 6-2, 6-2
- Sarah Coble (WS) d. Ashling McNally 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (8-6)
- Phillips / Queen (WS) d. Park / Borras 8-2
- Edwards / Harwood (WS) d. Workman / Launsby 8-1
- Smith / Coble (WS) d. Patel / Allen 9-7
West Stanly 9, JM Robinson 0
The Colts continued the team’s winning ways on Thursday with a 9-0 sweep of the Bulldogs.
Phillips won at No. 1 singles 6-3 and 7-5 while Queen did not lose a game in sweeping for West at No. 2 singles, 6-0 and 6-0.
Edwards won in straight sets for the Colts 6-1 and 6-1 while Riley Smith earned a win in the fourth-seeded match, 6-1 and 6-2.
Harwood claimed the win at No. 5 singles 6-1 and 6-2, while Selah Hunsucker made it a sweep of singles with her sixth-seeded win, 7-5 and 6-1.
All three pairings for West won doubles with scores of 8-2. Phillips and Queen won at No. 1, Edwards and Harwood were at No. 2 and the pairing of Sarah Coble and Maryn Mauldin won the third-seeded doubles match.
Both coming off losses from the opening week of the 2018 season, the Albemarle and West Stanly football teams met... read more