Coca-Cola 600 may still be on, according to N.C. governor
Sports fans in the Carolinas and beyond may finally have something new coming up to watch on television.
According to North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, the annual NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day weekend may take place without fans.
At a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Cooper confirmed he had been speaking with officials at both NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway about the possibility of having the annual race. Both organizations submitted social distancing plans to the governor’s office, which public health officials have reviewed and made suggestions regarding. .
“Unless health conditions go down, we can have the Coca Cola 600 on Memorial Day weekend in Concord. I think NASCAR will be making an announcement, but that’s what we believe will happen,” Cooper said.
Marcus Smith, Speedway Motorsports President and CEO, later issued a statement to the media regarding Cooper’s comments.
“On behalf of our team at Charlotte Motor Speedway, I’d like to thank Gov. Cooper and all of our state and local government officials who are working with us to get NASCAR back on track with the Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day Weekend where it belongs. We’ll have more details to share soon in conjunction with NASCAR’s release of a revised event schedule,” the statement said.
With the announcement by the American Legion baseball state executive committee cancelling the 2020 regular season and playoffs, some Area... read more