PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Coca-Cola Bottler Part 1

Published 4:44 pm Sunday, July 19, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The Stanly Bottling Works, managed by W.L. Saunders and P.O. Skidmore, first opened for business on May 8, 1905.

The company, located at the corner of East Main and South Second Street, bottled a number of drinks including Peach Bounch, White Seal Ginger Ale and Digestol. They were best known for bottling Coca-Cola.

By the end of the year, the company purchased a grocery store that was next door as an outlet for its drinks.

Early in 1907, the grocery store was sold to Syd Austin and the bottling works moved to North First Street.

In 1910, Skidmore and a new partner, G.M. Lipe, purchased the business outright from other investors and soon made plans to build a new building that was located near the corner of South and Depot Streets (see today’s photo).

They stayed in this location for several years, but again saw a need for more space.

{Lewis P. Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}

For part 2 of the series, visit