West Stanly women claim 2A Midwest Regional title; men take second
Published 11:04 am Tuesday, May 17, 2022
High Point Athletic Complex Track hosted the 2A Midwest Regionals Friday, where athletes from two Stanly high schools competed.
The West Stanly women claimed the 2A regional title and the Colts’ men nearly made it a sweep, finishing in second place. West’s women finished with 98 team points, 22 more than Surry Central (76). Walkertown finished in third with 53.
Natalie Almond had a big day in the long distance events for the Colts. The senior took first in the 800-, 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs.
West also got top finishes from senior Onii Bivens, who earned first in the long jump, second in the 400-meter dash and third in the 200-meter dash. Nariah Furr added a third-place finish in the triple jump, and the team of Savanah Hendzel, Holly Hatch, Caroline White and Makalyn Morton were second in the 4×800-meter relay.
On the men’s side, West finished with 69 points in second place behind Wilkes Central (91). Monroe finished a close third with 66.
Top finishes for the men included the 4×800-meter relay team as the Colts’ Blayne Morton, Stephen Martin, Nathan Marks, Elijah Morton took first.
James Shue took first in the 1,600-meter run and second in the 3,200, and Colts freshman Owen Grismer was second in the shot put. In the 3,200-meter run, Carson Wells placed third, while Gavin Hudson placed fourth in the discus throw.
In other finishes, North Stanly’s Paris Bennett qualified for states as an individual, placing third in the shotput.
Top four finishers in their respective events qualified for the 2A state meet this Friday at North Carolina A&T.
Below are the results for athletes from West and North Stanly at the 2A Midwest Regionals.
Women’s Shot Put
3) Paris Bennett (NS) 34-10.
Men’s Shot Put
2) Owen Grismer (WS) 44-10.
9) Nick Barringer (WS) 41-1.
4) Gavin Hudson (WS) 128-11.
7) Ayden Carpenter (NS) 114-5.
10) Jacob Starnes (WS) 106-1.
Women’s Long Jump
1) Onii Bivens (WS) 18-1.75.
7) Nariah Furr (WS) 15-11.5.
8) Shalyn Bell (NS) 15-9.
13) Brooks Gales (WS) 13-1.75.
Women’s Triple Jump
3) Nariah Furr (WS) 33-2.
8) Gia Dunlap (NS) 30-5.
Men’s Triple Jump
11) Jayson Gramling (NS) 39-3.5.
15) Karee Dykes (NS) 36-7.5.
Women’s High Jump
5) Bryn Cribb (WS) 4-6.
Women’s 4×800-Meter Relay
2) West Stanly (Savanah Hendzel, Holly Hatch, Caroline White, Makalyn Morton) 10:52.66.
Men’s 4×800-Meter Relay
1) West Stanly (Blayne Morton, Stephen Martin, Nathan Marks, Elijah Morton) 8:48.19.
Women’s 100-Meter Hurdles
12) Bryn Cribb (WS) 19.21.
Men’s 110-Meter Hurdles
8) Camden Nahrgang (WS) 18.05
13) Shane Mecimore (WS) 19.15.
Women’s 100-Meter Dash
5) Onni Bivens (WS) 13.15.
13) Ava Douglas (WS) 14.15.
Women’s 4×200-Meter Relay
8) West Stanly (Nariah Furr, Rory Huneycutt, Ava Douglas, Breanna Douglas) 1:54.47.
Men’s 4×200 Meter Relay
8) West Stanly (Darrell Bynum, Caleb Bumgarner, Phoenix Hendy, Jonathon Moran) 1:35.88.
Women’s 1,600-Meter Run
1) Natalie Almond (WS) 5:20.42
5) Makalyn Morton (WS) 5:59.40
6) Holly Hatch (WS) 6:02.14.
Men’s 1,600-Meter Run
1) James Shue (WS) 4:51.22
3) Caron Wells (WS) 4:52.65
5) Nathan Marks (WS) 4:56.22
11) Nicholas McClure (NS) 5:30.41.
Women’s 4×100-Meter Relay
11) West Stanly (Nariah Furr, Brooke Gales, Rory Huneycutt, Ava Douglas)
Men’s 4×100-Meter Relay
14) North Stanly (Bryant Harris, Doug Smith, Karee Dykes, Cameron Smith) 47.08
15) West Stanly (Darrell Bynum, Caleb Bumgarner, Phoenix Hendy, Jacob Starnes) 47.20.
Women’s 400-Meter Dash
2) Onii Bivens (WS) 1:01.00
6) Breanna Douglas (WS) 1:05.13.
Men’s 400-Meter Dash
7) Chayse Huneycutt (WS) 53.57
Women’s 300-Meter Hurdles
6) Bryn Cribb (WS) 51.82.
Men’s 300-Meter Hurdles
7) Jaxon Johnson (NS) 44.96.
11) Camden Nahrgang (WS) 46.25.
Women’s 800-Meter Run
1) Natalie Almond (WS) 2:24.33
7) Caroline White (WS) 2:41.69.
8) Makalyn Morton (WS) 2:43.87.
Men’s 800-Meter Run
7) Stephen Martin (WS) 2:13.83.
Women’s 200-Meter Dash
3) Onii Bivens (WS) 26.92.
Women’s 3,200-Meter Run
1) Natalie Almond (WS) 12:05.80.
6) Savanah Hendzel (WS) 14:06.69.
Men’s 3,200-Meter Run
2) James Shue (WS) 10:16.66.
3) Carson Wells (WS) 10:26.86.
5) Blayne Morton (WS) 10:40.50.
12) Nicholas McClure (NS) 11:41.55.
Women’s 4×400-Meter Relay
8) West Stanly (Lena Preslar, Makalyn Morton, Aniston Hann, Breanna Douglas) 4:40.33.
10) North Stanly (Lydia Quesenberry, Karlie Story, Gia Dunlap, Shalyn Bell) 4:43.98.
Men’s 4×400-Meter Relay
7) West Stanly (Chayse Huneycutt, Gavyn Efird, Elijah Morton, Jonathon Moran) 3:44.00.