PEEKING INTO THE PAST – The Alameda Theatre

The Alameda Theatre, first managed by A.B. Thompson, began as an open-air theater called the Airdome. It is believed to have been located behind what later became the Hill Building, but the exact location is not clear. As the weather changed in the fall, the theater was moved into the Opera House above Starnes Jewelry Store. Construction of the Alameda Theatre building on North Second Street was completed in late December 1916. The theatre first opened for business on Christmas Day. A.B. Thompson continued as manager until 1918. Eben Hearne then took over and operated the theatre for many years. The theater likely closed about 1960 or 1961. The building was vacant until 1967 or 1968, when it became the Albemarle Theatre, which lasted about a year. The building was vacant again until about 1977 or 1978, when Leroy’s Brass Rail Tobacco Shop, shown in today’s photo, moved in. This business seems to have been there for about two years, and the building has been largely vacant since Leroy’s closed. {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}