PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Baltimore Beauty Shoppe

The origin of the Baltimore Beauty Shoppe is unclear, but it first appears in the local newspapers managed by Mrs. J.S. Shaver in August 1927.

At the time, it was located above Riff’s Department Store on the north side of West Main Street.

In late December 1929, the business, now managed by Benna Kirk, moved to one of the offices above Starnes Jewelry Store. A grand opening was held on Jan. 3, 1930.

The business was soon renamed, Rose Ann Beauty Shoppe.
Ruth Peeler and Maude Brown purchased the business in January 1932 and changed the name back to Baltimore Beauty Shoppe. They later sold the business in February 1939 to Peeler’s sister Geraldine and Mrs. Thurman Furr.
During the early 1940s the business became Margaret’s Beauty Shop and was run by Margaret Scarboro.

Around 1949/50, the business become Modern Beauty Shop and was first run by Mrs. Custis Thomas and later Grover Simpson.

The business moved about 1958 to North Second Street.

The photo of Ruth Peeler (Starnes) and Helen Purser is courtesy of Wanda Brooks.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}