PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Southern Aluminum Company

In early 1914, the Southern Aluminum Company completed the construction of the office building shown in today’s picture. Known as Building 001, it held the administrative staff for the aluminum plant in Badin. According to the Dec. 25, 1970 edition of the Stanly News & Press, it was one of the first buildings erected by the French as they began the early development of Badin. The building was remodeled during the 1950s, adding additional space. Construction on a new office building, designated Building 004, began in November 1969. The building was completed by October 1970, and Alcoa’s office workers immediately moved to the new building. The demolition of Building 001, done by C.L. Vickers of Albemarle, began later that year and was completed in early 1971. A dedication ceremony and open house for the new Building 004, attended by approximately 1,000 visitors, was held on May 1, 1971. {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}