Norwood, two other departments, respond to early morning residential fire

The Norwood Center Rural Volunteer Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire a little after midnight on Thursday.

The homeowner reported he was working on his moped inside the house, located at 208 W. Whitley St., and was filling propane heaters when the fire somehow started around the front door, said Stanly County Fire Marshal Danny Barham.

Aquadale Volunteer Fire Department and Southside Volunteer Fire Department also assisted.

“The fire developed very rapidly and was fully evolved once the (Norwood) fire chief was on the scene,” Barham said.

There were two people inside the house, but they got out safely, Barham said. The cause of the fire is left undermined due to the structural stability of the house. He said it’s currently not safe to continue the investigation.

While he doesn’t know how long it took firefighters to get the fire contained, Barham said fire personnel were still putting out hot spots when he left around 4 a.m.

In terms of damage, he said the house was a “total loss.”