PEEKING INTO THE PAST: Parker’s Grove Baptist Church

According to Donna Dodenhoff’s book on the history of Stanly County, Parker’s Grove Baptist Church is possibly one of the oldest black congregations in Stanly. About 1880 Sam Parker, a black farmer, donated several acres of land for the church and cemetery. The first minister was Wesley J. Kearns who came from Randolph County. It is not clear when the original 1800s church building was built, but the original structure was still in use when it was brick veneered about 1977. According to the Sept. 14, 2007 Stanly News & Press, a vehicle from a nearby accident struck the church building and caused the church to be shifted 4 feet off the foundation. Unfortunately, the building had to be demolished. The church continued to meet without missing a Sunday. It first met in the New London Fire Department community room and then in its community building. With the support of area churches and the community, the members of Parker’s Grove were able to build a new building that was dedicated on Jan. 16, 2011. {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}