PEEKING INTO THE PAST: South Albemarle Baptist Church

In the early 1940s, residents of what at the time was known as “Reap’s Hill” began discussions about the need for a new church. A planning meeting was held on Jan. 23, 1943, and other meetings were held over the following months. The church, to be known as South Albemarle Baptist, was located on land donated by D.A. Holbrook on the road to Norwood. Construction quickly began on a church building. Even though the building was not completed, on March 28, 1943, the first meeting was held in the building, and the first service was the following Sunday. The auditorium was enlarged, and an educational wing was added to the church during the late 1940s or very early 1950s. A home was purchased nearby for the minister during the mid-1950s. During the early 1960s, the church found there was a need for a new building. A groundbreaking was held in 1963, and the new building was completed and dedicated on March 14, 1965. A new Fellowship Building was built in 1988. {Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}