PEEKING INTO THE PAST – The Stanfield Airport

Carl Holbrooks of Stanfield served in the Army Air Force during World War II.

After the war when he returned to Stanly County, he convinced his father they should build an airport in the Stanfield area. During December 1946, the Stanly News & Press announced that Carl Holbrooks and John Morris Brooks, along with their contractor Propst Construction of Concord, were building a new airport near Stanfield.

During January 1947, even though construction of the runway was not complete, the Stanfield Flying Service arranged and flew its first charter flight. The passengers, Hazel Little and Mrs. D.C. Brooks, were flown to Tampa.

By May 1947, the airport had a completed 2,000-foot runway and two hangars. There were eight planes stationed there, including three that belonged to the airport and five that belonged to area residents.

A flying school was soon opened for veterans and the public. Some of the instructors were John Morris Brooks, Ritchie Tucker and Lee Connell.

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}