In December 1916, the Texas Oil Company purchased land along the Winston-Salem Southbound Railroad line.

This property was across Old Charlotte Road from the old ice plant where Dean’s Ready Mix is today. A large tank was constructed so Albemarle could serve as a distribution center for the company.

Information has been very limited regarding this business as there don’t seem to be any advertisements in the local newspapers of the time. The Texas Oil Company distribution center does show up on the 1922, 1929 and 1941 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. It also appears in the city directories through the late 1950s.

What ultimately happened to the distribution center has not been found.

Today’s picture, courtesy of John Lowder, shows one of the company trucks in front of First Street Methodist Church. The original Wiscassett School building is on the left in the background.

(The Texas Oil Company later became known as Texaco.)

{Lewis Bramlett – Stanly County Historical Society}