STATE: Wildlife Commission to open Hatchery Supported Trout Waters

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will open approximately 1,000 miles of Hatchery Supported Trout Waters at 7 a.m. April 6. The season will run through Feb. 28, 2025. 

The Wildlife Commission has posted the full Hatchery Supported Trout Waters stocking schedule on its website to give trout anglers opportunities to plan fishing trips in advance. The schedule is searchable by county and month and provides information on what days each water is being stocked.  

Hatchery Supported Trout Waters, which are marked by green-and-white signs, have been closed since Feb. 28 for stocking. Most trout are stocked April through June, with a few streams selectively stocked in July. Overall, staff will stock over 600,000 trout in hatchery supported waters — 96 percent of which will average 10 inches in length, with the other 4 percent exceeding 14 inches in length. 

Hatchery Supported Trout Waters are open to public fishing; however, many of those miles are privately owned so officials with the Wildlife Commission urge anglers to respect the property they are fishing on and remember that landowners can take away access if they feel their property is being misused. 

Anglers can help prevent the loss of public access to fishing by: 

· Respecting private property and landowners at all times. 

· Removing all trash and litter from fishing and parking areas. 

· Parking only in designated areas and leaving driveways open for traffic. 

· Closing and/or locking gates after use. 

· Reporting wildlife violations by calling 800-662-7137. 

For a complete list of all Hatchery Supported Trout Waters, as well as trout maps, the complete stocking schedule, and daily stocking updates on Hatchery Supported Trout Waters, visit the Wildlife Commission’s trout fishing page. 

News

Stanly STEM graduates ‘super seniors’

News

Stanly Academy graduates ‘a mighty force to be reckoned with’

News

Stanly Chamber graduates Leadership Stanly Class of 2024

Community

Tillery Compassionate Care named Hospice CAHPS Honors Award recipient

News

HARRISTOWN NEWS: New event planned for Father’s Day

News

Stanly County Sheriff’s Reports – May 23-26, 2024

News

Stanly Early College graduates 39

News

Albemarle High School graduates 87 during commencement exercises

News

Stanly County Sheriff’s Office releases phone app as crime fighting tool

News

Albemarle Police Reports – May 25, 2024

Community

PEEKING INTO THE PAST – Waverly Owen Skidmore

News

South Stanly graduates told to ‘embrace the journey’

News

STATE: New state website offers one-stop-shop for N.C. community climate change resources

News

Food: A guide to dairy alternatives

News

Albemarle man faces murder charge after ‘road rage’ at Myrtle Beach

News

STATE: Delayed Harvest trout waters Open June 1

News

West graduates enter new highway in life

News

North Stanly graduates 133 for Class of 2024

News

Albemarle Police Reports – May 24, 2024

News

IN REMEMBRANCE: Son, nephew pays tribute to his Stanly County ‘band of brothers’ so history is not lost

News

Grandma speaks of support after student’s death, urges those struggling to seek help

News

Food: Enjoy stuffed burgers this barbecue season

News

Stanly school facilities committee recommends moving forward with new high school

News

North Stanly softball falls on the road as series evens in 13-inning game