Oakboro man pleads guilty to defrauding government
An Oakboro man pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court for his role in defrauding the government over highway projects.
- Governor triples Burleson slaying reward
- Village eyes zoning changes, schedules public hearing date
- Oakboro man pleads guilty to defrauding government
- Local News
- Local Sports
Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
The Stanly County 15 year-old All-Stars Babe Ruth Baseball team battled its way through the losers’ bracket after suffering a 10-9 loss to the Union County Americans to reach the championship finals.
Stanly rallied to force a deciding third game but Union County prevailed to earn a trip to the regionals in Varina, Virginia.
- Stanly All-Stars reach state championship round
- Stanly All-Star 15 year-olds lose in championship finals
- Regional & National Sports
Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat
The NCAA once cracked down on colleges that went too far luring top prospects, then it targeted teams that lathered players with special treatment. That was until the NCAA's get-tough approach backfired, rendering it ineffective and creating an opportunity for those who want to play dirty.
- Kannapolis opens eight-game road trip with win at Hagerstown
- Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat
- Opinion & Letters to the Editor
Yellow journalism takes on new form, people are dumber for it
Time to get on the soapbox for a few minutes.
Let me clear my throat. Eh ... hem!
People are dumb.
- Special election adds to the mix
- Yellow journalism takes on new form, people are dumber for it
- Weddings and Engagements
McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
Larry ‘Bud’ and Teresa Smith of Oakboro announce the engagement of their daughter, McCary Ann Smith of Brooklyn, New York to Ricardo Alberto Moncada of Brooklyn, New York, son of Ricardo Moncada of Cincinnati, Ohio and Alba Lucia Moncada of McAllen, Texas.
- Jessica Smith and Joseph O. Earley were united in marriage on June 13, 2014
- McCary Ann Smith and Ricardo Alberto Moncada plan to wed in New York
Anyone know whodunit?
Forget Col. Mustard, the library and the candlestick, this time it was the drama student in the Jesse F. Niven Center with the bottle of poison.
At this year’s Uwharrie Players Drama Camp, campers took the stage not just to act, but to figure out who poisoned Gladdis, the talent scout.
- Kudzu Quiche A Bonus in Study of Invasive Species
- Anyone know whodunit?
Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
Clay Aiken slipped into an Asheboro restaurant virtually unnoticed while campaigning in the city last Thursday.
- World traveler chooses Asheboro to pursue fine arts
- Aiken campaigns in Asheboro
- State & National News
Facebook continues moneymaking trend
WASHINGTON - Facebook seems to have figured out - for now at least - the holy grail for all media right now: how to make money selling mobile ads.
- Arizona's prolonged lethal injection is fourth in U.S. this year
- Facebook continues moneymaking trend